Thursday, May 22, 2008

Andy Smith







Andy Smith

Smith, who counts Nike, BT, The Guardian and Time Out among his clients, also had to deal with software packages that can produce very different results. “I use a lot of textures in Photoshop and try to keep a hand drawn, rough feel to my work,” he says. “Going into Flash and trying to draw with vectors meant I was making smooth crisp lines and movements, which isn’t really my thing. Although I use a computer for all my work I don’t like it to look as though it’s made digitally, so I have to build textures and scribbles into the animation so the hand-drawn feel is not lost.” (Computer Arts - http://www.computerarts.co.uk/in_depth/features/illustrate__animate )

There is a very strong emphasis on typography, and how it interacts with line and the drawn image. Hand-drawn text interacts with printed text, and the text shapes itself to become architecture or little characters, occasionally. The words lend deeper meanings to very simple forms. Composition and text makes up a lot of the strength and simplicity of Smith's style.

www.asmithillustration.com/
www.andysmithillustrator.blogspot.com/

No comments: