Monday, April 13, 2009

Giant Ceiling Mural 2008

Whew. So with the nightmare of this project behind me, I've decided to post the documented evidence of these 13 days of precarious and labor-intensive ceiling mural execution. I nearly killed myself twice setting up first one set of scaffolding, than this one, by myself (the first was too short to reach the 14' top of the slanted ceiling). Here you have it though, my monumental effort towards ceiling decor, finished despite setbacks and misunderstandings with a client new to hiring fine artists, and my father discovering that work on the scaffold wasn't going to work with his back, and leaving the ceiling to me. When I got up there, too, I realized the ceiling needed to be primed with acrylic base color, with a roller, before any detail/brush work would go, because it was matte and textured. We'd estimated it at 6 days, with us both working, but it took me much longer on my own. In conclusion: it was a lot of stressful, tedious work, for half the amount of money we should have asked, but I really felt, on completion, that I'd done something pretty impressive in scale. Definitely, future wall murals are going to be a piece of cake.

Sunday, April 12, 2009